You are currently viewing 8 Electrical Hazards in New Kitchen Appliances to Watch For

8 Electrical Hazards in New Kitchen Appliances to Watch For

If you’re like most people, your kitchen is full of electrical appliances. From the coffee maker to the toaster, these devices make our lives easier. However, they can also pose a serious hazard if they’re not used properly.

Here are eight common electrical hazards to be aware of with new kitchen appliances:

1. Overloaded Outlets

One of the most common electrical hazards is overloaded outlets. When you plug too many appliances into one outlet, it can cause a fire. To avoid this, only plug in as many appliances as the outlet can handle.

2. Exposed Wiring

 Another hazard to be aware of is exposed wiring. If the wiring on your appliances is exposed, it can be a shock hazard. Be sure to keep all wiring covered and away from water.

3. Flammable Materials Near Appliances

It’s also important to keep flammable materials away from appliances. If a fire starts near an appliance, the flames can spread quickly. Be sure to keep all flammable materials, such as paper towels and cleaning supplies, away from appliances.

4. Unsafe Extension Cords

Unsafe extension cords are another hazard to be aware of. If an extension cord is not rated for the appliance it’s being used with, it can overheat and start a fire. Be sure to only use extension cords that are rated for the appliance you’re using them with.

5. Improperly Installed Appliances

Improperly installed appliances can also be a hazard. If an appliance is not installed properly, it can become a fire hazard. Be sure to follow the installation instructions that come with your appliances.

6. Faulty Wiring in Appliances

Faulty wiring in appliances is another hazard to be aware of. If the wiring in an appliance is faulty, it can cause a fire. Be sure to have any appliance that has faulty wiring repaired by a qualified technician.

7. Worn or Frayed Cords on Appliances

Worn or frayed cords on appliances are another hazard. If a cord is worn or frayed, it can become a shock hazard. Be sure to replace any appliance cord that is worn or frayed.

8. Leaking or Damaged Gas Lines

Leaking or damaged gas lines are a serious hazard. If you smell gas, leave the area immediately and call your gas company. Do not use any electrical appliances or lights until the gas company has repaired the leak.

How to Handle Electric Fires

If you have a small electrical fire, you may be able to put it out with a fire extinguisher. But always call the Queensland Fire and Emergency Services immediately. If a fire starts on a piece of electrical equipment, unplug it if you can.

If you can’t reach the power cord, turn off the power at the circuit breaker or fuse box. Do not try to pick up the equipment to move it. You could get an electric shock. Once the fire is out, have a qualified electrician inspect the equipment and wiring.

Conclusion

There are a few potential electrical hazards to be aware of when using new kitchen appliances. These include potential fire hazards from overloaded outlets and extension cords, as well as potential shock hazards from damaged cords or plugs. Be sure to keep an eye on these potential hazards when using any new kitchen appliances, and take steps to mitigate them as much as possible.

If you’re looking for residential electricians in Brisbane, Blue Electrical can help you! We understand that electrical emergencies can happen anytime, so our services are available 24/7 to ensure you won’t deal with them for too long. Simply go to our website to request a booking!