You are currently viewing 4 Early Warning Signs of Problems in Your Electrical Wiring

4 Early Warning Signs of Problems in Your Electrical Wiring

Every year, thousands of people perish due to house fires. In fact, more Australians die from house fires on average than from all natural hazards combined. Now, this can be caused by a number of things, but electrical issues, particularly faulty wiring, are one of the leading causes of it. In this guide, we look at the signs that will tell you if you have some wiring issues that need to be addressed immediately.

Flickering or Dimming Lights

A common sign of faulty wiring is flickering or dimming lights. Faulty wiring causes this because it allows too much resistance, so the current flow fluctuates, and you get lights that flicker or dim. A dimming light is not very distracting, but a flickering light can be quite serious, as it can trigger the fire alarms.

If the flickering or the dimming lights only occur when you are using a certain appliance, then it will be an indication that the wiring has been damaged by that appliance. For instance, if the lights begin to dim each time you use the washing machine, then it indicates that your washing machine is not connected properly to the power.

Sudden Surges

Sudden surges are another sign that you have faulty wiring. While a surge only lasts for a few moments, it is enough to fry the electrical devices. In fact, some surges can go as high as 600 amps. On the other hand, a surge is more of a symptom than an indication of faulty wiring.

If you have faulty wiring, then it is likely that you have some electrical devices that will have been damaged by a surge. For example, if you have an electric blanket that suddenly fires up, then it is likely that it got damaged by the surge that occurred before it.

Smoke Coming from Outlets or Appliances

A fire can start at several places, but a common spot is the outlet. It is an indication that there is a short-circuit somewhere, and the outlet is trying to protect itself from the heat by sending out smoke. If you have an electrical outlet that is emitting smoke, then you will have to have it replaced or at least have it checked.

Alternatively, the smoke could be coming from your electrical appliances. This is also an indication that you have faulty wiring, as it means that there is a short circuit somewhere. To fix this, you will have to trace it and ensure that it has been fixed.

Strange Beeps or Buzzing Sounds

If you hear strange beeps or buzzing sounds out of nowhere, then it is another indication that you have faulty wiring. This usually happens if there is a short-circuit somewhere, so it will only be happening when there is a current flow.

You might hear this while you are not using any electrical appliance, but it could also be coming from a nearby outlet. In either case, you will have to fix it, as it can pose a risk of starting a fire.

Conclusion

As we have discussed earlier, faulty wiring can pose a threat to your life and to the lives of your family members. Now, if you do not know how to do electrical tasks yourself, then you will have to consult a professional and have the faulty wiring corrected, as it is dangerous to leave it unattended. However, if you know how to do electrical tasks, then this guide should be enough to get you started.

Don’t let your electrical systems go unchecked for a long time. Blue Electrical is here to provide electrical installation, maintenance, and repair services to our clients in North Brisbane, Moreton Bay, and the Sunshine Coast. We have more than 20 years of experience in the industry, making us your go-to experts when it comes to all your electrical needs. Contact us whenever you need a licensed residential electrician in Brisbane.