You are currently viewing Can Humidity in Homes Cause Electrical Problems?

Can Humidity in Homes Cause Electrical Problems?

Humidity problems in your home can cause major electrical issues. Electrical equipment and wiring are affected by high moisture levels. Humidity comes from typical activities, such as cooking, drying clothes, and washing dishes. As you take a shower, indoor moisture levels rise massively. Additionally, heating and cooling appliances elevate humidity in your residence. Leaking pipes that cause moist air to enter the home also contribute to moisture in the air. Here are a few of the leading electrical problems caused by humidity.

Can the Humidity in Homes Cause Electrical Problems

Humidity is the amount of water vapour in the air. The amount of moisture in the air is measured in percentages. If the air has 20% moisture, the air is said to be 20% saturated, and if the air has 80% moisture, the air is said to be 80% saturated.

Humidity in your home and building can cause a number of problems. Here are some of the main problems caused by high indoor humidity.

1 – Short Circuits

Short circuits are the most common problem caused by humidity. Moisture allows the buildup of electricity in electrical wiring. In turn, a short circuit can occur and cause a fire. This can also cause damage to electrical wires and your electrical equipment. Short circuits are a serious problem, proving to be extremely dangerous.

2 – Electrical Equipment Failure

Electricity flows through wires and electrical equipment. When humidity levels rise, this affects the electrical equipment’s functionality. A high moisture level can cause electrical equipment to short circuit and even suffer damage. Additionally, water and moisture can seep into electrical equipment, causing rust and corrosion. This can increase the risk of more short circuits and equipment failures.

3 – Electric Wiring Failure

Electric wiring works by carrying electricity to the right location. A high moisture level in electrical wiring can cause the wiring to rust and corrode. If you see rust or corrosion on your electrical wiring, the wiring is failing and could cause a fire. This could also interfere with the flow of electricity, which can cause short circuits.

4 – Sticking and Dirty Electrical Switches

The switching in your home’s electrical equipment is affected by high humidity. If the humidity in your home is high, the switches can get stuck and won’t work. This can cause problems with your electrical equipment and wiring. Additionally, dirt and moisture can collect in your electrical switches, causing them to malfunction and get stuck.

5 – Fire

High humidity in your home can cause additional fire hazards. High humidity creates a good condition for a fire because of the increased risk of electrical fires. Additionally, high moisture levels can cause more moisture to build up in your home. If a fire occurs in the home, the increased moisture levels can make fighting the fire extremely difficult. Also, the increased moisture can cause more electrical fires to ignite.

Conclusion

When humidity levels in your home increase, you increase the risk of experiencing major electrical problems. Electrical wiring and equipment could short circuit and even experience damage caused by moisture. As a result, you increase the risk of experiencing fires. High humidity can also cause your electrical switches to malfunction. If you want to prevent these problems from occurring, it is essential to address high humidity problems in your home.

Get to the bottom of your humidity problem and have it addressed by a licensed electrician in Brisbane from Blue Electrical. We offer reliable electrical services for residential and commercial buildings. Contact us today!